Tuesday, September 5, 2017



Blue is not my color
Blue is your color, my mother always said,
When we went shopping for material, for a new dress,
 Or a skirt, or a blouse, or even pants
We would cruise the downtown’s stores for hours
Folding and unfolding, reels of cotton, or prints,
Or jersey, spreading blue like a pair of magicians

Dragging my feet behind her hurried steps,
I lowered my head trying to fade
When my opinion was, so rarely, requested.
Blue, let it be blue, I dutifully whispered
Knowing the worse is yet to come,
When measurements will be taken.

In front of the full-length mirror,
Her mouth full of pins,
I was stabbed and pricked and restless
Never able to stand still.
First, second, even third fitting, until a dress,
Or a skirt, or a blouse, were completed

Blue, always blue.
Light, or dark, or jersey or prints
But at night, in my dreams,
Ready-made clothes on hangers
A rainbow of colors; yellows and whites
And purples, even orange

Blue is not my color,
I tell her every time I shop,
Now by myself
Blue is not my color,
Red, or pink, even green will do,
And where she is, I hope she finally agrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment